Contact Us for a Consultation 410-415-3617


Which financial statement do you file in a Maryland family law case?

Posted by Jerry Williams | Feb 16, 2024 | 0 Comments

In Maryland family law cases which involve financial support to or for children or spouses, financial statements must be filed with the court at the time that a party is requesting the financial support. 

Maryland utilizes two types of financial statements primarily identified as a Long form financial statement or a Short form Financial Statement. And as you might be able to guess, the long form financial statement is longer than the short form, with the long form financial statement requesting 10 pages of information including monthly expenses for the primary residence, including the mortgage or rent, insurance, taxes, gas and electric, water bill, repairs, lawn maintenance, replacement furnishings, secondary residence, if any, household necessities, medical and dental, school expenses, recreation and entertainment, transportation, gifts, other miscellaneous monthly expenses, income, assets and liabilities. A blank long form statement can be found here: Long Form Financial Statement

The short form financial statement on the other hand is 2 pages, and requests basic information including your name, children's names and dates of birth, and monthly income before taxes, child support you pay for other children, alimony paid or received, and child's expenses. A blank short form statement can be found here: Short Form Financial Statement

Typically the short form financial statement is used in child support cases when operating within the child support guidelines. The long form financial statement is used for outside the child support guidelines cases. The long form financials statement is also necessary for spousal support or alimony cases. 

Maryland Rule 9-202 outlines when a financial statement must be filed, and its usually when the claim for child support or spousal support is made in a party's Complaint or Answer responding to a claim. 

If you do not know which financial statement to file, consult with an experienced family lawyer to explain which financial statement you should file. 

After completing either the long form or short form financial statement, you will be required to affirm under the penalties of perjury that the information provided is true. 

About the Author

Jerry Williams

Attorney Jerry “Jay” Williams, III cares about his clients. For over ten years, Jay has represented individuals in and out of court across the state of Maryland and Washington, D.C., during difficult times for clients. Jay has aggressively fought for his clients and pursued financial awards for p...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment